Copelands Trip – Sat 3rd September – CANCELLED

Unfortunately due to the weather forecast the Copelands Trip has been CANCELLED

We plan to do a picnic trip to the Copeland Islands on Sat 3rd September. We plan to leave Carrickfergus at 0930 and to set off for return at 1500


HW Belfast: 1632 (BST) (half spring)

Note strong tides in Donaghadee Sound:

NW going ebb commences 1500

SE going flood commences 0830, 2100


Carrickfergus – Chapel Bay 9.8nm (approx.)

Entering Chapel Bay beware of Rid Rock. I.C.C. commend that you keep the two red buoys in Donaghadee sound in line and enter when the cottage on the skyline bears 036 0(T). 0380 (M), in transit with a long low cottage on the shore

Anchor in the west side of the bay, paying careful regard to depths.

Ensure that you have a good anchor!

A dinghy will be needed for getting ashore

If the wind is E – SSE we will go to Port Dandy (540 40.54’N, 050 32.5’W)  rather than Chapel Bay. The holding here is not good so anchoring must be done with care.

If the wind is fresh southerly, we will go to Crawfordsburn.

Bring your own food!


  1. As this is a Club event, lifejackets/buoyancy aids should be worn
  2. We use VHF channel 8 as working channel (though we may need to change).
  3. While information is given in good faith, it is not guaranteed and safe pilotage of vessels is the skipper’s sole responsibility.

Roger Woodward, Hon Sailing Secretary